Monday, June 22, 2015

Whispers of the Earth: From an Interview with Sally MacKinnon

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to Sally Mackinnon who comes to us from Australia where she nourishes her lifelong love of the ocean; surfing though both the sea, and her own oceanic soul. 


In 2006-07, when working frantically as an environmental activist and consultant, I had a major episode of burnout. I decided to work part time for a while to recover my equilibrium and it was when I slowed down and began sitting on my front verandah drinking tea that I began to hear the whispers of the earth. And so I began writing them down as poetry.


I write about the mountains and the ocean of South East Queensland and Northern NSW in Australia where I live, work and surf. Mother Nature inspires me: the infinite sky…mountains standing like blue truth in the ether…forests and trees and soil and mist…messenger birds who scrawl symbols across the sky…oceanic depths…paddling into the sun and the waves…home…

I never want to sound clichéd or trite to others. So I always let a poem flow first, then I review it many times and let it sit for a while too. Then I come back to it with fresh eyes to check on things and cut away clichés. I also try to feel out poems with my body, heart and soul and try to find the words that speak from these visceral and vast places.

Through writing poetry I can make sense of the world and how to live truthfully and open-heartedly in the world, in this time and space.


Writing poetry is a spiritual process for me because it allows me to hear the earth speak in her quiet, beautiful, outrageously tender whispers…in the act of listening, hearing, translating and writing I have an opportunity to connect my breath and my soul to the earth; to align my pulse to hers and to celebrate Oneness. And in all of that entirely internal, deeply personal process, poetry also becomes a vehicle to share that connection.

Poetry enables me to live vulnerably in the world: To open my heart to everything.

Writing poetry is my authentic voice in the world. It is where I feel most honest and honorable.  I can speak my truth through poetry.

I have so many favorite poems, poets or poetry books! I feel that Rumi is perhaps the greatest poet of all. Hafiz too. Then there are contemporary poets including Mary Oliver, Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer, Heathcote Williams (Whale Nation and Falling for a Dolphin) and Drew Dellinger (Love Letter to the Milky Way).

When I take in the poetry of others, I don’t feel nearly so alone in the way I see and experience life.

 I realize I am a member of the poetic community, which throughout human history has felt the storms and sunshine of life with unusual sensitivity and tenderness.

I first discovered the Journey of the Heart Poetry Project through an extraordinary poem of Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer’s which randomly crossed my path on Facebook. I was moved to my very core and followed it through to find the Journey of the Heart Project. It was such a delight to discover this secret garden of women spiritual poets.

Prior to discovering this project I had shared my poetry a little through collaborative arts projects in my local and regional communities.

But to share some of my poems through the project in an international online community has taken things to a whole new level and connected me to such incredible, creative, caring people. It’s been a completely joyful and validating experience!

For a long, long time I was frantic trying to ‘save the earth’. It was my life’s mission for over half of my life. In the last few years as I deepen my practices of yoga, meditation, surfing and as I continue to write and connect with other women writers and surfers, I am finding my place at last as a sacred ecologist…seeing, hearing, loving, celebrating this broken-open time and place on the blue planet…glimpsing sometimes the connection between the microcosm of me and the macrocosm of Big Spirit and the cosmos through my breath.

After all those years of desperate, grief-driven activism I simply love and infinitely appreciate my second chance as a poet and soul surfer of life. Peace…


Sally MacKinnon: Sally struggles with biographical descriptions and labels for herself these days (apologies!) She lives in a small rainforested mountain community in South East Queensland Australia on a family property with her son, sisters and mother, a flock of chooks and ducks, and a trio of hilarious dogs of varying ages. She is a soul surfer (ha, a label!) with a grand and lifelong love of the ocean, the beach, the sand, the sun, the sky. Her authentic voice emerges through poetry. You may connect with Sally on Facebook here, or e-mail her salmackinnon@bigpond.com. 
_________________________

PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~  

No comments:

Post a Comment