Saturday, June 20, 2015

Interview with Jesse James

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to 24 year old Jesse James: a Storyteller & Creatrix of many things; an equal blend of mystical, myth & science. The owner of Artemisian Artes and a member/founder of The Creating Conscious Arts Collective, they use their voice to promote holistic wellness and inclusive activism and advocacy for the many causes they care about.


When and how did you first begin writing poetry?

As soon as I could spell, I was writing poetry, and this is no exaggeration. From the time that I was four, even before my writing was legible, I was speaking my poems into existence. When I was really young, my Mom would fill out cards for our family and friends during the holidays and special occasions; she would ask me what she should write. Once my printing was legible enough however, I began to fill out the cards myself.

Which subjects are easiest for you to write poems on?

Anything that touches on raw emotion. The things that others might find hard to dissect and write into being, are the things that spark me to create. I write from my own experience and understanding, and while they are emotionally charged and potent for me, I write about them with ease because the release of it is healing for me; these stories want to come out.

Mental health, sexuality, gender identity, anti-oppression and activism, poverty, suicide, racism, abuse and other forms of violence; these are just a few of the things I make a point of writing about. Because these cracked wide open raw and whole truths, these are what bring me to life; they offer a purpose. These are the things I feel need to be spoken and written about more. Because holding back helps no one and only further feeds the stigma surrounding each.

Which subjects are the hardest for you to write about?

Honestly, I think it’s love. Because too often love written is flouncy and detached from my own experience of it. When I was younger, I think I could relate to love written that way. But now I am more interested in what lays beyond that point of view. It’s hard to write about love that way when you’re in it though; especially with new love. How do you write objectively the reality of something, when what you are experiencing is so surreal?   

What are some of your sources of inspiration in writing poetry?

Communicating with people and with nature. The majority of my most important and personally influential pieces came to me while navigating conversations with others, or, after spending time reconnecting to nature and really listening to what she had to say. Listening is an important tool in learning, without it I could not create and be what I am.

What is your biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public, and how do you move beyond it?

As someone with anxiety and depression, that constricting state of panic that comes in before sharing any piece publicly is one that I am quite familiar with. I begin to doubt whether it is good enough or interesting enough, or grammatically correct enough for other people to want to read. I question whether what I have written is an accurate enough representation of not only what I am trying to say, but the community it might connect with and the experience itself that I am trying to convey. Finally, I doubt my understanding and place in representing the story. For who am I to speak about the things that I do? And the truth is, these things are not easily overcome. I still struggle with them, but I push myself to publish them anyway. Because letting our voice be heard in our full intention and honest effort, then laying open; listening to what comes back, this is where we are able to learn and grow. So I keep pushing that and stretching myself to open more. Paying attention to that which others have to say. It’s something that has helped immensely, and with each time I begin this process again, it becomes more comfortable for me to exist in that space.

How is writing poetry a spiritual process for you?

Writing is the language of my heart and lungs. I know that sounds whimsical, hyperbolic and to be fair, a bit ridiculous. But it is. It’s how I make communion with my body and spirit. I check in with myself and sort through what I am feeling and experiencing by allowing myself to write. Until I write something out, it has never been fully processed. When I don’t allow myself time for this, these experiences gather and begin to form energetic blocks altering my experience. I am thus firmly rooted and grounded through the extension of my pen or keyboard. Verbal speech does not come nearly as easy to me, and communicating with myself, and beyond that, others, is a process I value greatly. My mind to paper relationship is one that I do my best to support in its growth.

What function or role has writing poems played for you in your life?

Writing has been a life line and community builder for me. If I could not write what I was thinking and feeling I would have suppressed things that needed to come out. I also would not have made the connections that I have and life would be empty without them. For writing has drawn me into a space that holds some of the most purpose driven and inspiring individuals I have ever had the opportunity to connect with. Ones who not only understand the process of being a writer but also, that which goes deeper, too. Through writing I found support, connection, hope, and transparency. A place to be raw and real and completely untamed; where I could come to the page exactly as I am in any given moment. It’s been exactly what I needed and played a variety of supporting roles throughout my life.

What effect does reading the poems of others have on you?

Love. Anger. Sadness. Pain. But mostly love. So often I feel myself completely overwhelmed by the love I feel for the humanity and voice behind the words I am reading. I really feel them in that moment; who they are, what they stand for, what they’ve gone through. This is why sometimes I feel anger, sadness and pain, because words relate those experiences unto others. But I have so much respect for the reflecting and writing of the way they see the world. For the ways they have walked through it, that I can’t help but feel love for who they are beyond their words.

Any suggestions for others who aspire to write?

Honestly, just do it. Put your pen to paper, or fingers to keys, and form words, or sounds, or images. Write until it makes no sense, or maybe, until it does. The only person stopping you from writing is you. There is a lot of fear and doubt and nonsense that we add into the process of writing, but in truth, all that is needed is for you to take that step and decide to write. You may not be good at it at first, or maybe ever, but that’s not the point. The purpose of writing is in the action, not just the delivery and final product. What are you waiting for? I’m sure there are some blank pages waiting to be filled.
__________________________________________________________

Jesse James is an individual of many roles: activist, advocate, writer, creatrix; lover of nature and of people; of adventure, and of raw reality; she is passionate about  life and love itself.  She adores working with herbs in making natural remedies; & concocting up delicious kitchen alchemy is a second nature after breath. She worships the earth, thrives on art, and on forming meaningful connections with others. Their mission is to make that around them more beautiful, or at the very least, to help others see things that already were, in that way."
_________________________

PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment