Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Interview With Jessica Mokrzycki

 Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to Jessica Mokrzycki, an inspired young mother and writer with a penchant for philosophy and Bhakti Yoga, living in Connecticut.  

When and how did you first begin writing poetry?


For as long as I remember I’ve enjoyed expressing myself in prose. So, I think it all started when I was in grammar school and began to read poems in my classes and has continued ever since. I remember having very encouraging teachers that nurtured my creativity and helped inspire me along the way. 


Some of my earliest poems were written in the farm fields that lay across the street from my childhood home. When I was about 11 or 12, I would venture out alone and trek across the fields, often finding myself sitting atop a hill or in a hunter’s tree stand watching the view below me. It was there, where the winds would blow the scent of the wild across the landscape, where my heart began eagerly expressing itself in scribbles across—oftentimes wrinkled—notepaper that had been folded to fit inside my pockets.
Are some subjects easier or harder for you to turn into poems?
When it comes to what subjects are easiest or hardest to write about-I don’t really usually strain myself to write about things that don’t usually come out naturally. Poems, for me, generally arise into my consciousness spontaneously, at least the ideas for them do and sometimes almost the whole poems themselves. So, I just sort of write what comes out.
To me, poems seem to be more “felt” than “thought” out. 

I’d say the subjects that are hardest for me to write about are the ones that I sit down and consciously try to write about for one reason or another.  For example, if I’d like to write a poem for a specific occasion, then it sometimes is more difficult. 

 When do you feel most inspired to write poetry?
 Many times an idea for a poem or the poem itself will come to me while taking or shower or while I’m on a hike out in nature or listening to music. For some reason these environments seem to free up my hidden reserves of creativity.
 What is your biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public?

Many of the poems I write are of the spiritual nature and in the process of sharing them with others I am sharing a deeply personal part of myself, and my experiences. Sometimes I have a hesitation of opening those parts of myself up to others for fear of criticism. Not criticism when it comes to the structure of the poem, I certainly am open to constructive criticism towards that. No, I sometimes hesitate due to the fear of criticism towards the subjects themselves-towards my experiences or towards the direction where my path is leading me. 


I rarely censor a poem, though, in order to appease my potential audience. I feel poems need to be genuine and expressed as is. As they come out. And for much of my poetry I feel this urge to share with others anyways, despite their personal nature. I actually feel more comfortable sharing my poetry with the public, especially in forums like Journey of the Heart, than with those closest to me in my personal life. I tend to find readers, like those that frequent Journey of the Heart, more gracious in receiving my experiences.
What is the most profound thing you have learned from writing poems? 


There is no bottom to the well of creativity and inspiration. There is a spring within that when struck continues to flow, even when it sometimes appears to be only a trickle or even seems to have run completely dry.
 How is writing poetry a spiritual process for you?

Writing poetry helps me express my spiritual journey, and in the process, draws out elements of it that sometimes I am unaware of until I begin writing.  It helps me take a journey within that nourishes, and sometimes validates, and guides me in my path.

 Name some of your favorite poetesses. 


I enjoy being introduced to new poetry and poetesses through Journey of the Heart. Some other poetesses that I have found very inspiring through the years have been Mary Oliver and Mirabai.
 How did you first discover the Journey of The Heart poetry project?


My friend David first sent me a link to Journey of the Heart. He has always been quite adept at introducing me to some really great resources. Journey of the Heart has certainly been one of them!
 Have you publically shared your poetry before doing so via this project? 

Yes, mostly on my blog.
What has been your general experience of sharing your poetry on Journey of The Heart?
My general experience of sharing my poetry on Journey of the Heart has been a very positive one. I have become connected with others that pursue and value their own spiritual journeys, and in the process of reading their poems, have become inspired and especially encouraged when I find poems I can relate to that others have shared.
Jessica Mokrzyckl is a mother of two beautiful children and has been married for almost ten years now. She seeks the truth into her own nature, and that of God's, and explores her experiences and reflections on a regular basis on her blog Ascending The Hills. Jessica has found a lot of inspiration and direction from the Bhagavad Gita and other Vedic scriptures and has found that chanting has become an invaluable spiritual practice that she engage in daily."You may contact her via her facebook page here. 
_______________________________
PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~ 


1 comment:

  1. I very much resonated with this statement, Jessica: "To me, poems seem to be more “felt” than “thought” out." YES! For myself also. And I always find it challenging to write one on demand or on an "assigned" subject, as opposed to one I just FEEL. Thank you for this interview. I walk away from it with sweet visions of you as a girl, in the farm fields, or up in the trees, scribbling poems on paper you had tucked into your pockets for such an occasion. Ah! Yes: nature as a muse! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete