Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Open to Revelation: From an Interview with Tammy T. Stone

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'! 

Today we introduce you to Canadian writer and photographer Tammy T. Stone: a mindful and compassionate explorer of the world and the psyche.


Poetry was one of my earliest forms of writing, along with my very first, fledgling diaries! 

When I a little girl, I became fascinated by how language was not just functional, but beautiful and flexible, and by the ways words were also sounds, and could be placed into combinations that had rhythm and were pleasing to the ear. Also, apparently, when I was a toddler, and my sister was just learning to speak, I was the only one who could understand her, so I’d translate her needs to my parents! I guess I’ve always been in love with words, and communication!

My poetry used to be expressions of the more difficult experiences and emotions I was dealing with at any given time, but lately I’ve also been gravitating toward writing about more ecstatic and exalting experiences, about the wondrousness of life and my growing awareness of my place in it, which is an ongoing process.

I write about everything that passes through my consciousness. It’s one of the key tools I use to understand the world and my experience of it.

So, if I find there’s something I’m not writing about, it’s a clue to me that there’s something going on in my psyche I need to tend to and nurture more. Generally though, writing about all forms of experience is something I embrace. Making some of the poetry public is another story, though!

For inspiration I draw from nature, nature, nature! Nature is where everything lies, where our deepest, most sacred and most profound aspects find their mirror and expression.

I love writing poetry in nature, and I love how much the awe of being in nature seeps under the skin and reignites the passions in so many guises when I cannot be there.

I’m a very expressive person, but I often shy away from sharing my deepest traumas and emotions. I’m often more comfortable listening and being there for others. I can be very fearful when it comes to exposing myself and being vulnerable, even though I so admire this quality and strength in others. More and more, I’m trying to share the poems that I’m most scared to put out there in the world.

I love those moments when you realize that you are not only writing poetry to express or give outlet to your feelings, but to find those magic moments where you fall into the zone, and the writing process is actually helping you awaken to the discoveries of your inner being. What a joy that brings, to be able to self-heal in this way!

Writing poetry is a beautiful spiritual experience in every way!

For me, it’s a sacred act of aligning my best self and best intentions with a deep desire to find the words that will connect with others, so that we can exist in a shared space of communion and hopeful understanding.

Writing poetry is being totally open to revelation moving through the psyche, and my job is to grab hold if it, and translate it to the best of my ability, and to learn from the heart-opening event of sharing through the written word.

Writing poems has been deeply healing for me. When I feel isolated from others and ultimately myself, I turn to this sacred act of writing in order to deepen my connection to the universe.

This has made me feel less alone, or has allowed me to dwell more mindfully in the space of aloneness to see what’s going on there. I can’t imagine my life without writing poetry!

Some of my favorite poets are Allen Ginsberg (Howl), Jack Kerouac (Pomes all Sizes), Mary Oliver, Langston Hughes, Robert Frost, Rilke, E. E. Cummings, Pablo Neruda, Maya Angelou.

Reading the poems of others has a magical effect one me; one that is so hard to explain! As I read I feel immensely privileged to have this access to someone’s most sacred self.

I feel like I’m crossing the boundaries of space and time and cutting right into the eternal space of the Heart in its infinite forms, and like I’ve been given the gift of emerging from this space to see and experience the day-to-day world differently. It’s so bright and beautiful!

I’ve been lucky enough to have found an online community of writers, as I live in Japan and have fewer opportunities right now to write or publish locally. Thanks to the magic of the Internet, I’ve been able to both write (columns, poetry, and so on), and to follow the brilliant writings of others, which led me to first discover Journey of The Heart Poetry Project! I believe many synchronicities led me to this amazing group of people.

I’ve been publishing poems in newspapers and magazines, and also online for a number of years, and I’ve recently published my first poetry collection.

I feel intensely lucky to have found this gorgeous project, and to become a part of this community of writers and poetesses, more so than I can express.

Sharing my poetry on Journey of The Heart has been overwhelmingly bright and positive. There is so much support from Catherine, our fearless and boundlessly creative guide, who brings out so much in all of us, and also from my fellow poetesses. I feel like I’ve found a home that is safe, and that provides such inspiration and support. It makes me want to become a better writer each and every day.

It’s been such a blessing to have the opportunity to become involved with the project both as a writer and as collaborator in putting the book together, under Catherine’s incredibly inspiring leadership. I’ve learned so much about the book-making process, and as a newly published author of a poetry book, it has really deepened my understanding of what it means to put your words into the world in a mindful way. I’m just so profoundly grateful.

I would encourage anyone who feels that poem brewing inside to give it a chance to come into being!

Lastly, in response to how I would describe myself: I try to be a mindful and compassionate explorer of the world and the psyche. In my ideal state, I am under a tree, holding hands with and looking deeply into the eyes and heart of life. I love love love the challenge of being human, of being a woman, of being here on Earth, living this one small, but grand existence. For me, finding expression for this love, and for Love in general, is a huge part of my life mission to be in this world in a way that is of benefit to others, so that we can awaken to joy together. 

_________________

Tammy T. Stone is a Canadian writer, photographer and chronicler of life as it passes through us. A wanderer at heart, she’s mesmerized by people, places and all of our wildest dreams; the world is somehow so vast and so small. She feels incredibly lucky to have been able to work, learn and live abroad, writing, photographing and wellness-practicing along the way. She invites you to see her photography here and to connect with her on her writer’s page, Twitter and her blog, There’s No War in World, here. Her first book, “Formation: Along the Ganges and Back Again”, published by Prolific Press, is available here. 
_________________________
PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~  

No comments:

Post a Comment