Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Something Money Can’t Buy: From an Interview with Kim Buskala

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'! 

Today we introduce you to the free-spirited Kim Buskala, a mother of two daughters who loves nature and whose heart beats in synch with African drums. 


I first dabbled in poetry a bit, prior to the loss of my mother. After my mother had passed and my father had fallen ill I had many sleepless nights. I started paying attention to words that would come to me at early morning hours and began to write them down. They were poetic, very healing and revealing.

The themes that most effortlessly appear in my poems are those that illuminate our humanness, and the similarities between nature and us.

Nature, conscious music and drawing inspire me to write poetry. Lyricists also provide me with much inspiration when poetic words come through in a song. I know a good song when I hear it and there are so many great song writers/poets who inspire me. To be a lyricist: that is a dream I may follow one day!

The subject that is the hardest for me to write about is inequality and my biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public is whether or not I will offend someone. To counter this, I often tell myself:

 “If this piece touches my heart, arousing something within me, then it is bound to have that same effect on another, and that is all that matters.” 

This is what helps me overcome that fear. I also recite my poems to myself before I am willing to share them. When I do, I need my poems to make me feel something. I’ve found some of my writing to be so heart wrenching to me that it keeps me from sharing it verbally. Maybe someday, as time heals some of my pain, that will change.

The thing that has amazed me most while writing is that I even have the ability to write poetically, consistently. Words just fall out of me expressing what need to be exposed.  My writing never ceases to amaze me and tells me things I didn’t even know I knew! For this reason I sometimes feel that there is a spiritual element to my poems, as if the words were beautifully arranging themselves, orchestrating a dance of sorts that give meaning to my thoughts.

Reading the poems of others gives me a sense of self, and reminds me that we are not alone: we all feel and we all have feelings.

I first discovered the Journey of the Heart Poetry Project through a suggestion from an acquaintance, who had previously published work with this project. Thank you Carolyn! The first piece I saw published on Journey of the Heart poetry gave me a sense of accomplishment, acceptance and made me feel great to think that someone other than myself enjoyed my writing.

Sharing my poems in this project has been an awesome experience for me! Catherine does a beautiful job of arranging photos that match with the written words giving them even more meaning.

I am so thrilled to be included in this community of wonderful women writers. They all give me permission to share my work.

The positive feedback and all the encouragement I receive from the women in this project makes me want to put more of my thoughts into words and let them be heard.  If I can help others do the same, and see their life’s worth, than I feel I would have accomplished something worth sharing, something money can’t buy: a journey into our hearts.



_______________________
Kim Buskala: I consider myself a free spirit, I fly by the seat of my pants. I have always known that I was going to be married and raise some awesome kids. That I have done. Married to a most forgiving, funny, loving man for thirty-one years and counting. I have also been privileged to stay home and raise two gorgeous daughters ages twenty-four and sixteen. I love nature and all it has to offer. To travel the seven seas from coast to coast, becoming one with culture is always a dream. Jamaica is my happy place where I feel most accepted and at home with myself and others. Africa is a place my heart longs to be, some day I will return and dance to the beat of their drums.” You may connect with Kim via Facebook here, or e-mail her: kbuskala@yahoo.com
_________________________
PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~  


No comments:

Post a Comment