Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Interview With Zoe Quiney

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to the free spirited Zoe Quiney, from Sydney, Australia, who shares her writings with others to "inspire, empower, help and heal". 

When and how did you first begin writing poetry?

I've always been fascinated with words ever since I was a child. I loved writing stories and poems - I was always scribbling away in my room and I loved to rhyme and play around with words.

Which subjects are easiest for you to write poems on?

It's hard to say if there's a topic I find easiest but I probably tend to sit and write more naturally about a specific feeling or the environment I'm in at the time. It always seems to flow from the heart when I'm feeling something more powerfully.

What are some of your sources of inspiration in writing poetry?

My experiences mainly, and the environment I'm in.. I'll get a very distinct feeling whether it's a personal experience, or some beautiful scenery or an idea about life. Life inspires me daily.

What is your biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public, and how do you move beyond it?

I didn't share anything I'd written for years and still don't share quite a lot of what I write, perhaps some poems are more personal, but I guess it's that vulnerability that goes with expressing yourself in public that can be daunting, especially when it’s very heartfelt. But sometimes you know that sharing that piece of you might inspire others to do the same, or relate to what you're expressing in some way. And poems always mean different things to different people, which is one of the great things about them! They're open to interpretation.

What is the most profound, meaningful or enlightening discovery you have made while writing poems?

That writing poetry is like free therapy! There's something incredibly cathartic about getting your feelings on paper, in a meaningful way. It's not just writing, it's art.

How is writing poetry a spiritual process for you?

I find the times that I write what I consider to be my best or most heart-felt poems are when I switch off and let myself flow and my subconscious or I guess, my soul, begins to speak :)

What function or role has writing poems played for you in your life?

I'm always scribbling in notepads and in my phone whenever I get a spark of inspiration and it's become a sort of journal for me - I then type up whatever it is I've written and If I look back over all my saved scribblings and poems, I can see the journey I've come on and like an emotional polaroid.

Name some of your favorite poems, poets or poetry books.

I am a huge fan of Maya Angelou and everything she did for empowering women by encouraging them to express themselves, allowing them to have a voice, and be unafraid to be feminine, sexy and proud. I love Khalil Gibran, Anna Akhmatova and Haruki Morakami for their powerful ways with words and Rainer Rilke's - Letters to a Young poet is beautiful.

How did you first discover Journey of The Heart?

I stumbled across it through a friend on Facebook, and sent in a poem of mine which I'd just written - Which was the first poem I'd ever submitted to a public forum.  It was exciting and scary to see it in public. I felt quite exposed!  But the reactions were amazing and I realized that expression through any form of art is necessary and a beautiful thing. The fear is always just a natural emotional response to putting something that you've made, out there. And it's never as bad as you imagine! Quite the opposite. It's liberating.

What has been your general experience of sharing your poetry on Journey of The Heart?


I have been inspired, more than anything, by the amazing women out there who courageously share their words with the world and I have learnt to be more brave and fearless when it comes to self-expression. It's an incredible journey to be on and it's amazing to be supported along the way by such amazing talents and souls.

Zoe Quiney: “I'm a part time writer and full time dreamer with a penchant for anything or anyone weird, amusing, interesting and beautiful. I believe in creating your own heaven on earth and I find inspiration in people and places that calm my soul. I want to leave something meaningful behind in this lifetime, even if it's just a nice poem. You may connect with me on Facebook here. Or find me on my blog or tumbler here.”
____________________________________________________________

PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment