Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Interview With Savitri Talahatu

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to the lovely yogini Savitri, who is a life coach and healer from Bali, living now in Toronto, Canada. 

When and how did you first begin writing poetry?

Perhaps in the 5th of 6th grade and blossomed in junior high school. I loved reading poetry and started to write pages of “flow of consciousness” which later had a poetic “feel” to them. Although I’ve learned about quatrain, stanza, sloka, haiku, rhyme, etc., I have never written poems in a certain “form”.

Which subjects are easiest for you to write poems on?

The easiest subject for me to write poems on is about my connection to the Source and the process feels as though the words come through me, and not from me.

Which subjects are the hardest for you to write about?

Every subject is hard for me to write as I see myself as a medium, an instrument, and not a writer or a poet. Do you have any advice on how to shift that? Before leaving for Bali and India last year, I thought about starting a blog and writing regularly to share my experience with family and friends but that didn’t happen.

When are some of your sources of inspiration in writing poetry?

When my heart is wide open and the words, like life, just flow through me.

What is your biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public, and how do you move beyond it?

Most of my poems came to me as “downloads”. I often feel a strong desire to keep them private because others may not understand the context.

What is the most profound, meaningful or enlightening discovery you have made while writing poems?

That the poems have their own unique voice, wanting to be born.
That I am an instrument of the poems, facilitating their births, not the creator.

How is writing poetry a spiritual process for you?

Each poem was often born after walking in nature, dancing or meditation, but also out of a period of longing, deep listening, and reciting a mantra.

What function or role has writing poems played for you in your life?

During trying time, I write as an outlet to express what which wouldn’t have had any expression otherwise. Writing has been a true and trusted friend.

Name some of your favorite poems, poets or poetry books.

I love the poetry of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Rumi, Maya Angelou, Pablo Neruda, Rabindranath Tagore, Mirabai, Kabir Das, Hafiz, Omar Khayyam and many more.

What effect does reading the poems of others have on you?

Reading the poems of others, especially a few of those mentioned above, often transport me to a different reality, as if entering the poet’s private chamber.

How did you first discover Journey of The Heart?

I first discovered Journey of The Heart on Facebook when the posts appeared on my newsfeed. After awhile, I responded to your call for spiritual poems and sent my poetry to you, just to see if my poetry was in the same vein with your vision for Journey of The Heart. Thank you so much for providing me with an opportunity to explore another facet of my existence.

Have you publically shared your poetry before doing so via this project?

When I was in high school, I shared my poetry in the school’s newsletter. It was easy and natural because it was in Bahasa Indonesia. I did not feel any pressure to maintain the heart-felt essence as when writing poetry in English. 

What did it feel like to share your poetry for the first time on Journey of The Heart?

When Catherine shared my poetry for the first time on Journey of The Heart, I was not sure whether I should let people know or keep quiet about it. When I got over that inner talk, I shared the post with my personal, teaching and holistic healing facebook pages. It was quite an interesting feeling to see a part of me out there in the world and I am wondering if any novice poetess feels the same way I did.

What has been your general experience of sharing your poetry on Journey of The Heart?

It has been a delightful learning experience of sharing my poetry, with Catherine personally first, and then with Journey of The Heart. I thank her for her encouragement and for your kind words of support.

Any last words you’d like to share about poetry?

In the world of poetry, I found a world of beauty, enchantment and wonderment.

Savitri Ingga Talahatu was born and raised in Bali to musician parents from different ethnic and religious backgrounds. She is mother to a grown son and god-mother to a beautiful 17 year old god-daughter.  Savitri has been a multi-disciplinary teacher for almost three decades, having taught in the public system in Indonesia and in Canada, at universities and community colleges, women's shelters and senior residences. She currently teaches bhakti-infused Hatha and Kundalini Yoga classes, facilitates Yoga and Wellness workshops in Toronto, and at an annual Yoga teacher-training program in Bali.  Savitri is also a life coach, holistic health practitioner, labor and post-partum doula, childbirth educator and Reiki Master. In her spare time, she plays with a gamelan ensemble since its inception in 2001. You may contact Savitri though e-mail soulsanctuary88@gmail.com Or on facebook here. 
____________________________________________________________

PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~ 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Savitri, for exposing your kind heart and process as a poet, a devotee, and a channel of LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jaishree, somehow I've just seen your kind words of encouragement this morning, a couple of years later. Love is our beloved gurudeva's message for the world. I'm glad that, in some small way, we could continue the flow of love in this world. Premananda! ♡

      Delete