Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Interview With Nancy Carlson

Welcome to The Women Behind The Poetry, where we interview women from the 'Journey of The Heart: Women's Spiritual Poetry Project'!  

Today we introduce you to the thoughtful reflections of yoga and meditation teacher, Reiki master and Holistic Nurse Coach, Nancy Carlson, who comes to us from Massachusetts. 

When and how did you first begin writing poetry?

As a child I loved reading poetry, a true day-dreamer, I would play with words as if I was a poet too! In my teen and college years, I started to write poems as they related to my feelings, difficulties and joys: these were my secrets. I loved e.e. cummings and Yeats. My simple poetry included metaphors of nature, love of God and of something much larger than what life seemed to be.

Which subjects are easiest for you to write poems on?

My self-growth, challenges, reflections, emotions, what inspires me, transformations, gratitude, love...and from some deeper place with that felt like a source of creativity.

Which subjects are the hardest for you to write about?

I am not good at rhyming, with anything linear, black and white or within a structure that feels constrictive to be, forced.

When do you feel most inspired to write poetry?

It just seems to come-up, it just does. An expression of something that is hard to describe with words, yet is another way of using those words. It can be a feeling, an image, metaphor, confusion, sorrow, love! Whatever it is, it shows up and keeps speaking to me to write. During life-experiences, transitions, deaths, births, milestones, learning, integrating, need to express, the un-known or mystery....often during times of quiet and connection to self. It is a personal part of my truth, my true self.  It is art, creative, releasing, freeing, connection and opening of doors within myself. It expresses in a way that I could not have imagined, till the words just start to flow. Unraveling the complicated, allowing the mystery to be and takes center stage in bringing consciousness to the unconscious. I feel so alive with a poem...

What is your biggest fear or hesitation when deciding to share a poem with the public?

That I won’t be heard or I will be judged or critiqued because I am not a seasoned poet or writer. That my subject is personal, but when I do share and it seems to touch others in some way....then I am aware that this poetry is much bigger than me and is a source of healing and joy!

What is the most profound thing you have learned from writing poems?

That I am a part of the Whole of Life and that my feelings and experiences are universal. That this poetry comes from my heart and  is a sharing of my heart with others. A gift to myself and all. It feels like Grace...

How is writing poetry a spiritual process for you?

I think it has always been a spiritual process for me. Somewhat like a prayer...connecting with nature, mystery, more that what this life seems to be, eternal, always there, gratitude, love and devotion. I feel a connection to that deeper knowing, to source, to that essence that is always there, eternally. I become a part of the portal of Love, within and without. I notice that this process is essential to my life.

What function has writing poems played for you in your life?

Integration, discovery, truth, joy, purpose, creativity, connecting to my heart. It speaks to the mystery, beauty and service to God and all others.

Name some of your favorite poetesses.

Mary Oliver, Rumi, Mirabai, O’Donnahue, Mary Angelou, Maria Rilke and the Upanishads.....to speak of some poets.

What effect does reading the poems of others have on you?

A feeling of connection, validation, appreciation, inspiration, beauty of expression, vulnerability and a deeper perception of others.

How did you first discover Journey of The Heart?

From Yoga In The Gita blogspot by Catherine Ghosh and Braja Sorensen, I met Catherine and became interested in Journey of the Heart as a way to bring my poems to the public within a setting that felt so right to me.

Have you publicly shared your poetry before doing so via this project?

No, only as gifts to others or for certain events.

If not, what did it feel like to share your poetry for the first time on Journey of The Heart?

It was amazing growth for me to take this step. There was so much acceptance, support, sharing, and love form these like-minded poetesses. I felt that I could truly learn and grow in this space!

What has been your general experience of sharing your poetry on Journey of The Heart?

A loving acceptance of myself and my expression of that...huge!

Any last words you’d like to share about poetry?

Catherine has been so supportive, open, kind and lovingly guiding me along in this process of self-exploration and source of devotion to Truth and Love. Poetry anchors me in that place within that connects with that Source that is never ending. From this place, there is such acceptance, love, joy and Grace comes….

Nancy Carlson: "I am an evolving poet, writing mostly as reflection, contemplation. But most recently, as a student of bhakti-yoga, as an expression of my devotion. I work as an Holistic Nurse Coach, yoga/meditation teacher and Reiki Master. You may contact me on Facebook here or via my website 'Joyful Healing' here
___________________________________________________________

PLEASE CLICK "comments" BELOW TO SHARE A RESPONSE.

~If you are one of the poetesses from 'Journey of the Heart', and would like to appear in this blog, just click here to request an interview. We are excited to learn more about you!~

~If you write poetry and would like to share it on 'Journey of The Heart', click here for submission guidelines. And thank you for your interest!~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment